Sunday, April 02, 2006

Halfway going is better than not going at all

I usually don't post on Sundays because it's a day of rest, but I am working today, so that rule has been suspended for the time being. I had planned on attending the early service at a church closer to my work, but I combined daylight savings time with going to bed at midnight and then sprinkled the top of the combo with a broken coffee pot. Can't. function. without. it. I was rushing out the door and by the time I got to the first stoplight, I decided to go to church here. These are the thoughts that raced through my mind as I broke speed limits to get to church on time:

a. I had no lunch because I was too worried about getting to the church across town on time. This would cause me to have to buy lunch, which The Rev. always makes a comment about because we have a refrigerator full of food. He is capable of eating 26 pounds of turkey by himself, but he would prefer it if he didn't have to do so.

b. I had not eaten breakfast, either.

c. I had only had half a cup of tea and I was expecting a headache in the next hour. How could I concentrate on church with a pounding headache?

d. By the time I got to church, I would be at least 5-10 minutes late. By the time I got in a pew, got settled, said a prayer simultaneously thanking the Lord for getting me to church safely and asking for forgiveness for breaking the speed limit and probably saying something under my breath as I get stuck behind someone driving 45 in the passing lane, the service would be half over anyway. I'm sure deep breathing techniques would be used somewhere in there, too.

e. As I was putting on my sandals, I noticed that the polish on my toe was chipped. Chipped nail polish bothers me and I knew I would be too focused on my toe to concentrate on the service.

So, I turned around, went to Starbucks and drove home. I drank my coffee, packed a lunch, ate breakfast, fixed my toe, and shared it all with you.

Know that my prayer when I get to church will be, "Dear Lord, give me the strength to get my act together so that the weaknesses of my sorry bodily needs won't prevent me from coming to your house and worshipping you."

Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home