Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Do I have a pulse? Praise the Lord!

I would have posted yesterday, but after my day, all I wanted to do was crawl in bed, pull the covers over my head, and burrow deep, like a tick. Even that didn't happen, because we have company coming and The Rev. was after me to pick up after myself again. The nerve.

It all started when I left the house. I left feeling good. I had a cute outfit; I was having a good hair day; I remembered to bring my lunch. I took a different route than normal because traffic was that bad, and right before I got onto the interstate, I heard the familiar "whump, whump" of a flat tire. Be proud of me, mom and dad, I didn't say any bad words...yet. I calmly (see, still calm!)pulled into a parking lot and calmly pulled out my cellphone. I called work first to let them know I was going to be a little late. I called The Rev. next to let him know my situation and that I was taking care of it. Then I called an organization that many of us pay annual dues to help us out in incidents such as these. I was put on hold for 15 minutes. Still calm, though, people, still calm. They said a tow truck would be on the way in 35 minutes. I AM STILL CALM AT THIS POINT, OKAY?

By the time the tow truck driver got there, I was more than late to work. And when he got out of the truck I KNEW that I was going to be more than a little late to work. His response to my "How are you?" was, "I just woke up." This did not instill in me a vote of confidence, by any means, but I WAS STILL CALM! I was calm when he couldn't find the jack to change the tire, and I remained calm when he got frustrated that he couldn't get the spare tire to release. Now that I can think about the situation, I recall a "How the hell am I supposed to know?" coming out of my mouth when I called The Rev. and he asked me a question. But I was still relatively calm, and I hadn't walked down the street to the nearest liquor store...yet. I just kept reminding myself that the sun was shining and I had gotten out of bed that morning, praise the Lord. The rest was small potatoes.

The truck wound up getting towed to the auto dealership because Igor, my tow truck driver couldn't figure out he was using the wrong end of the wrench to try to release the spare. We found that out later, but given my impression of him, I got the feeling he tried to put the square peg in the round hole one too many times already in his life.

I finally made it to work, almost three hours late, but it again afforded The Rev. and I an opportunity to talk about what was happening in our lives. He even complimented me later on the fact that I kept it together all morning. I told him that it was because he had responded correctly to all of my questions and psuedo-complaints.

Maybe he is learning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home