Thursday, January 04, 2007

High Society

My brother and I will be attending Mardi Gras festivities this year in our old hometown of New Orleans, Louisiana. We are staying with my brother's childhood friend, a nice guy who used to live a few houses down from us. The plans are to arrive in New Orleans for the weekend before Fat Tuesday and take in all the drunken festivities (notice I said "take in" not "partake in") on the Saturday and Sunday before everyone gets really drunk and then sobers up for Lent. To say that I am excited is an understatement. Growing up, Mardi Gras was my favorite time of year, and my appreciation of a city is often measured by how cool it is compared to the Big Easy.

Joel's friend, JP, is not only letting us stay with him and his wife in Uptown, he is also getting us into a few swanky affairs that will not allow me to wear flip-flops (as I have grown so accustomed to living in SoCal) and to put on a dress for which I have yet to buy, but already begun to diet. Joel called to inform me of the news, and we have discussed it over several phone calls:

"This is really fancy, I have to wear a tux."

"I guess I have to buy a cocktail dress."

"No, you need a ballgown, something to the floor, like Pretty Woman."

"Are you calling me a reformed prostitute?"


We talked about it again yesterday:

"This will be so much fun."

"I know, I just need to find a dress."

"When was the last time you got really dressed up?"

"Two years ago, right before we moved when I was in Leslie's wedding. And they got divorced, remember?"

So, I am off on the hunt to find a dress to the floor. I am awaiting a response from JP's wife as to what she is wearing, and in the meantime I have been doing internet searches for dresses. I typed in "ball gown" just to see what would pass onto the screen and I got a Wikipedia article detailing the proper attire for evening formals. Watches are not de rigeur, as well as rings and bracelets, but necklaces and earrings are fine. Married women can wear a tiara if they own one. Maybe I'll pick one up on my way to finding a dress.

Stay tuned, I am off to the gym.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home