Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Vote No on Prop Fall

The Santa Ana winds are blowing. For everyone who does not know about the area of high pressure that forms over the deserts in Utah and Nevada and blows dry, hot wind into San Diego, that means trouble. Trouble because the risk of fire goes up exponentially (like last year when three wildfires started simultaneously and went uncontrolled for days), my skin and hair wither and die, and my internal seasonal clock gets all our of whack because, HELLO, it is October and time for fall leaves and cool evenings and beef stew and cozy sweaters. Unfortunately, cozy sweaters, boots, jeans, beef stew, fall leaves, and cool evenings are denied and delayed because at this moment I am wearing a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops. And it is supposed to be 97 degrees today in Escondido. It means I have to keep shaving my legs and getting pedicures. It means my beef stew becomes a beef taco with cool lettuce and salsa, which I enjoy as I run my air conditioning.

Oh, I can decorate my house with pumpkins and fall leaves, and bake any amount of apple pies and gourd shaped cookies, but it means nothing and is lost when I step outside to a dry oven of brown grass and palm trees waving over the tumbleweeds and scrub brush. It actually rained last weekend, but the cool smell of wet concrete lasted about 10 seconds. And then it was time to break out the sunglasses and the the baby pool.

California just asked the federal government for 7 billion dollars to bail them out of their credit crunch, and with all that pork, there better be some beef stew in there, as well as a pair of boots and a wool sweater. Throw in some sugar maples that are red, yellow, and orange, and I may be able to tolerate living in year round summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home