Tuesday, June 06, 2006

35 Years

My parents wedding anniversary is today. Thirty five years ago a 21 year old girl in a homemade wedding dress said yes to a 21 year old boy in a ridiculous tuxedo. I have seen the pictures, and I am not sure I could have exchanged vows with The Rev. if I saw him in ruffles and baby blue at the altar. My mother is a much bigger person than I am.

Most of my friends have come from homes broken by divorce. My brother has friends numbered in there also. Our house was the sanctuary, the place where everyone wanted to be, and I know it was because of my parents. I have many friends who live on the opposite side of the country, and our conversations, once we have forged past what is going in my life and theirs, invariably turns to how my parents are doing. They want to know and I share with them. I know as the years progress conversations will turn more towards my parent's health and my need to go and visit them, rather than their traveling and enjoying the years of the empty nest. But for right now I want to think about them as they are right now, enjoying their anniversary meal at a nice restaurant and toasting each other for 35 years of love, companionship, comfort.

Considering that there is much hoopla about a certain movie about the spawn of Satan opening today, I don't think many people will be thinking about congratulating a couple for making it through 35 years of childrearing, umemployment, cross country moves, and financial chaos. Most people get divorced over one of these entrees in the buffet of life, but the parents, being the people they are, have lived to tell the tale. They have the battle scars to prove it, but I am not suggesting you ask them about any of the aforementioned. If you do, make sure it is after a few margaritas and then pour some scotch. Their marriage, although not perfect, has been an example to me of Christian love and forgiveness. It's a lesson I remind myself of on a daily basis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home