Sunday, January 28, 2007

A tale to tell

It is hard to believe that my parents and my in-laws have already come and gone. The frenzy of getting the house ready was worth it, and the visits were much too short. Throw in a wedding and inventory, and the visits were really much too short.

Now the anticipation of my mini-vacation is upon me, and I am looking forward to another road trip with my brother, who is affectionately nicknamed "Magellan." And I don't mean that as a compliment to his skills in navigation. This is someone who loses his car in parking lots on an hourly basis. I have a hunch that he has to calculate extra time to find his vehicle when he has a list of errands to run.

Our last road trip was precisely a year ago. I had some time off, a travel voucher to use, and a desire to surprise the you-know-what out of my mom for her birthday. I flew into Dallas and Brother and I got up early the next morning for the long drive to Memphis. In my journal, dated January 19th, I scribbled a few quoteable quotes from that trip:

"Where is the cocktail sauce?" This question was posed at the delicious S&D Oyster House in Dallas right after he told our waitress that she didn't need to make any for us and I had just started to mix the ketchup with the horseradish. My response? "What's in front of you, moron?" Ah, the love between a brother and a sister.

The next morning we were up before dawn and drove to 4 Starbucks looking for one that would be open at 5 a.m. Luckily, a gas station/Wendy's/Starbucks was open for us as we headed out of town. I have not seen a gas station/Wendy's/Starbucks combo since.

As we were driving down the dark interstate towards Memphis, Brother comments, "I haven't seen a sunset in a while." I responded, "Um, you may have to wait, because what we are seeing is called a sunrise." Coincidentally, on the way back to Dallas, he got me for making the same remark. I chalk it up to shared DNA.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Notes from my journal, 1/25/06: "We gave Mom the surprise of her life at lunch Thursday afternoon at Cozy Corner. We hit the road at 5:00 a.m., drove all morning, waited till Dad had her in the restaurant, then sprung. "What are you doing here?!" was her reaction. I took a snapshot w/ Kristin laughing heartily in the background. "That was the coolest thing I've done for my Mom," was how she summed it up over the weekend.

Mardi Gras is going to rock :-)

Love

Magellan

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home