Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Traditionalist

I think getting older causes us to embrace traditions more readily than when we were younger. Last year on Saint Patrick's Day we ate at a Mexican restaurant. This year I have a corned beef in the slow cooker, an apple pie cooling on the stove, and two 6-packs of Harp and Guiness in the refrigerator. I don't know where this is coming from, but The Rev. is certainly enjoying himself, and laughing at my "maturity" from last year.

"Don't lift the lid on the slow cooker."

His hand touches the lid.

"DON'T LIFT THE LID. It will take longer to cook."

His hand lifts the lid so slightly and he inhales deeply.

"Why did you lift the lid?"

"Because it smelled good."

"Couldn't you smell it without lifting the lid?"

"No, my sniffer is not working at full speed today."

I give up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home