Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Selfishly, It breaks my heart

Lucas is a daddy's boy. Not daddy's boy in the terms of dragging a fishing pole behind his father's shadow (but I anticipate that in about five years), but daddy's boy in that the is acutely aware of when his father is in the house, and acutely aware of when he is not in his father's arms. Did I mention he is acutely aware?

The other day, Aaron woke up late and dashed out of the house or else risk being late for chapel and his catechism class. He came home two hours later to eat breakfast, and both Lucas and I were surprised to see him come through the door. Aaron came in just as we sat down to watch Regis and Kelly do their morning monologue (life is so exciting when I work the late shift!), and chatted with me as he put down his briefcase and keys. He started to walk across the room and Lucas started wailing and reaching for him. Like I was poking him or something.

Tonight, he went down early, after a very busy day of rattling the baby gates, banging on the screen door, and getting his head stuck in rails of chairs. Aaron was teaching a late class, and Lucas woke up minutes after he came in and started screaming. I went in and got him so Aaron could eat dinner, and for the next fifteen minutes, Aaron stood behind me eating and talking to Lucas, who was wailing at the top of his lungs. He eventually wound up in daddy's arms, and fifteen minutes later, the two of them were sitting in the arm chair, Lucas clutching a bottle of water and Aaron reading the paper. The boy was happy as a clam, and was soon cooing himself to sleep. He fell asleep with a smile on his face, just content with the world that he was sitting with his papa. I told Aaron that it selfishly broke my heart, to see the two of them like that, knowing that when he was crying all he wanted was his daddy. But at the same time, I felt so blessed that Lucas could sit on his lap and fall asleep as Aaron's heart was breaking because it was so full of happiness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home