Monday, February 13, 2006

It takes a big man to carry a cat through an airport

Next week The Rev. and I are flying to Nashville for what I call a "drive-by baptism." Our dearest friends in the world are having a baby and they asked us to be the godparents. That topic is another post entirely. Anyway, it will be a quick trip where we pop-in and pop-out and witness a sacrament on the way. That is also another post. The Rev. and I can't wait to see them and the little one, along with my parents and Rev.'s sister and her family. We are importing tequila in our carry-ons for the occasion.

I will never doubt the validity, sincerity, or love of this couple for us because they agreed to keep our two cats, Butch and Smokey, until we got settled in California. Do you want to test the sincerity of a friendship? Ask them to keep two cats for over a year. And drive them to the vet while Smokey hyper-ventilated after attaching himself to the driver's seat head rest. And fix Butch's paw, butt, and other body parts when he tried to overcompensate for his missing manhood with another neighborhood cat. Nate and Steph, if you are ever stuck anywhere in the world at 4 a.m. and need someone to COME AND GET YOU, call me. I owe you.

I will also never doubt the validity, sincerity, or love of my dear Rev. He is the type of guy who likes to smoke the occasional cigar, drink scotch, watch football, and participate in household projects. His household projects usually involve all the aforementioned, but he saves the imbibing for after the project is done. Safety first, you know. With such an appreciation for the masculine (and for those of you squealing that I am sexist, there are pictures of me puffing on a stogey with a beverage in front of me--I'm all for equal opportunity), comes an appreciation for dogs. The Rev. is not a cat kind of guy. He usually refers to the cats as the possessions of his beloved wife. However, he loves his wife and has made a concession to allow felines into his domain. He gets a dog and I get multiple kitties. It works. In case you are wondering, I clean the litterbox.

After our visit next week, Butch and Smokey are returning with us as our carry-on luggage and one will go under Rev's seat and one will go under mine. All for an extra $160 on top of our ticket price, plus the hassle of going back to our old vet to get health certificates swearing they don't have rabies. Mom and Dad, save your lecture. I know what you are thinking. I asked if you wanted a cat and you said "No."

So, on this day where we recognize the love we have in our life, I want to tell you all how much my husband loves me. Any man willing to carry a cat through an airport for his beloved deserves a happy Valentine's Day. Thank you, Rev. Now you can get a puppy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home