Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Happy Early Easter

Ya'll, I am leaving for the O.C. tomorrow and I will be gone (except for a brief sojourn on Sunday) until Monday evening. I hate missing out on the most moving services of the church year, but I will make it home in time for the "He is risen, indeed."

Go read the hymn "Awake My Soul with Gladness" by Paul Gerhardt. I want it sung at my funeral, along with "It is Well with My Soul" by Horatio Spafford. The line about my sins being nailed to the cross gives me chills.

One more opportunity for you to impress me with your feedback. What is your favorite hymn? Don't be shy, you know you have one, and you sit up a little straighter in your pew when it is sung in church.

Bonus points to the person who says "The People who in Darkness Sat."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been anonymous until today, will post under initials--good luck y'all !! My all time favorite...."Crown Him With Many Crowns"...you should it hear sung by Koine'. Am quickly becoming a fan of mypastor's favorite hymn. but that would be a giveaway to some. My reality check? "Were You There" I hum it when I need to be reminded that my sins were there!!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to stir things up a little, I'm going to say that my favorite hymn is not a hymn at all. It is Movement 12, a chorus, from Handel's oratorio Messiah. It is titled "For Unto Us A Child Is Born" and is a very uplifting 4 1/2 minutes worth of words taken from Isaiah 9:6. Check it out if you're not familiar with it.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home