Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day

I missed Mother's Day this year. I mean, I sent a present and two cards, but I was not physically there to present my mom a corsage of yellow roses, sit next to her in church, and squeeze her hand. Some things about life I SoCal I will never like. I don't know if The Rev. would share that sentiment, but he has been away from home much longer than I have, and he was just happy that his wife got her act together and got Mother's Day presents to both mothers early. We barely do Christmas cards, and we make up for missed, forgotten, and belated birthdays with random gifts sprinkled throughout the year. We have never missed Mother's Day, though. I mean, IT'S MOTHER'S DAY, the one observance of the year that I wouldn't mess with even if I was in the hospital with two broken arms and the plague.

I do not resemble my mother, except in personality. Although, I have always thought I inherited my pumpkin teeth from her. I have my father's height and the build of my paternal grandmother. I can't forecast that I will have blue hair in the future, as I am hoping I manage to maintain the highlights that I do have.

Growing up, I never wanted to make her mad and was often on the receiving end of a spanking, but that was because I was a strong willed child who didn't brush her teeth and hid cake mixes under her bed. I also played with matches and threw my clothes on the floor. I had those spankings coming.

Anyway, back to my mom. She can work a room like a Kennedy and instantly make everyone feel like her new best friend. It is a quality that I admire and one that I actively try to cultivate in myself. I know Pastors read this website. If you are, you must have my mom come to your evangelism seminars and speak about welcoming people to church. She's the best. She even sends little notes to people when she doesn't see them in church. Little notes! On cute paper in her perfect handwriting. We could all learn a lesson here, people.

If I am going to be extolling the virtues of mothers, I must also give a shout out to my mother-in-law, who is also one of the best people I know. Actually she and my father-in-law are some of the best people I know. Thank you for welcoming me into your family. And thank you for raising the person who is your son and my husband. I don't think you would let him get away with playing with matches, hiding cake mixes under his bed, or throwing his clothes on the floor.

Let's try to get together next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home