Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Words I hate

Hate is a strong word, but there are words that I hate in the English language. Most of my distaste is because the words have become trite and overused. Some of the words have been so beaten to death and abused by corporate lingo and jargon that I often find myself counting how many times an associate or coworker can use them in a conversation. After hearing the word "feedback" used 7 times in the span of 15 minutes I wanted to stab myself in the eye with the nearest highlighter. Here are some more words, in no particular order:

partner--now, if you are from Texas it would be "pad-nuh" and that would probably be more linguistically acceptable, considering I pronounce "eyelet" like "Ah-leht."

feedback--for some reason I think of a feedbag muzzling a horse's mouth when this word is used.

execute--I know that this can mean the act of completing a task, but it also means to kill someone. Hello! It means to kill someone!

buy-in--as in "get the person's buy in." I find that being a nice person with a sincere concern for someone else usually gets their buy-in. But what do I know?

Amazing. I know of one person who is truly amazing and he rose from the dead after being in the grave for three days. I don't think your grilled lamb with pancetta sauce and rosemary potatoes counts as such. Tasty, but not amazing.

There. I feel better. No more complaints. Life is good. I am blessed. Now excuse me while I go give some feedback to someone executing a task so that I can get their buy-in to partner with me on an amazing adventure.

Sigh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: amazing...ditto for 'awesome' 'I am awesome...you are awesome...it is awesome' NO, NO, NO. Our God is an awesome God, any other 'awe' is usually 'awwww' reflecting my sympathy that said person feels they are awesome when they truly are not, amazing OR awesome.

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home