Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Caitlin, Katelyn, Caytlin?

Dear Godchild,

Welcome to the world! Right now you are about 8 hours old in the central time zone. That means whenever you come to visit me in California, you will be 2 hours younger. As you get older, that will become more important to you. For now, I will be calling you "Baby Girl," as your parents have decided to give you a name that could spelled a variety of ways, just like mine. When your dad called The Rev. this morning, we were so busy being excited we forgot to ask how your name was going to be spelled. As I don't want to get started off with you on the wrong foot, nor do I want to set bad precedent, I will be sticking to "Baby Girl" until I can make that clarification. Hopefully, you received a standard spelling. If not, you will never be able to buy a personalized keychain. Believe me, I know that kind of trauma. Once, my brother got his name carved in wood, and I couldn't because they charged per letter and I had too many letters in my name for my parents to shell out that kind of dough. If that happens, call me and I will buy it for you.

I must first congratulate you. You have been blessed to have been born to two of the best people I know. When I miss Tennessee, a big chunk of my heart is missing them. Your mom will keep you active and in great shape. Your dad will teach you all there is to know about art, painting, construction, theater, and when you are 21, scotch. We can also throw in cooking, fishing, and target practice. I have no doubt you will grow up to be a well rounded individual. And I am sure you will be a heartbreaker, causing your father to keep a loaded weapon in plain sight of any of your potential boyfriends. Just do us all a favor and avoid dating anyone totally inappropriate. If you need clarification on totally inappropriate, discuss it with me, as I had plenty of experience in that area before I married The Rev.

Now I must warn you. The Rev. and I are godparents to many children. Many to the point of we aren't really sure how many. We can't promise that we will remember your birthday, but we do plan on being around for your baptism, confirmation, graduation (hopefully more than one), and wedding (hopefully just one). We will also make sure your parents have you in church every Sunday. We aren't too worried about that one, because when we lived in Nashville we saw them every Sunday, at church. I can also promise that when you come and visit us in California we will spoil you rotten and take you to the beach, the Wild Animal Park, the zoo, Disneyland, and when you are 21, to wine country.

Next week you will be baptized and become a part of God's family. Don't go thinking that this is your license to be naughty. Hopefully, after your baptism, your dad (since he's so handy with tools) will hang your baptismal certificate in your bedroom, so you can look at it every day and remember who you are. If a godparent should teach their godchild anything, Baby Girl, it should be to remember who you are and what makes you special.

We love you and we can't wait to meet you.

Love,

The Godmother

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home