Friday, March 03, 2006

Re-Lent

I remember as a little girl growing up in New Orleans all of my Catholic friends would "give up" something for Lent. It had to be something they really loved. One of my friends tried to give up potato chips, and I remember being confused because she was eating potato chips when she told me she had given them up until Easter. How Jesus humbling himself to this earth, living a perfect life, and willingly giving that life up for me, a poor wretched sinner, can compare to someone not eating potato chips for 40 days (not including Sundays) is beyond my comprehension. "A" for effort, I guess, given that I am sure God is probably more amused at our sactimony, than impressed by it.

The first year of our marriage, The Rev. and I decided to try and give something up for Lent, just to see what it was like. The old adage about a bridge in Brooklyn and jumping was temporarily forgotten in our excitement over work righteousness, besides, it was only temporary. Obviously, The Rev. and I are not Catholic, but we decided to approach Christ's Passion from a pietistic point of view, just to see what it was like. My parents also decided to give it a try, so the four of us agreed on giving up sweets. It's a wonder that we are all still married. The first problem came in the definition of sweet. There were too many gray areas and we could not agree. Snickers? Yes. Twinkies? Yes. Chocolate Milk? Gray area. Pop-Tarts? Maybe. Pancakes with syrup? That's breakfast. Do not deprive me of my breakfast! It became a competition to see who could deprive themselves the most. Mom threw a curve ball into the mix when she made a German Chocolate Cake for Dad's birthday. Homemade cake frosted with the gooey coconut pecan frosting. You know the one. It's not really German, but people bring it to Oktoberfest potluck anyway. Mom and Dad were done.

The Rev. and I made it the 40 days (and we included Sundays), and we had our Easter baskets devoured before sunrise service on Easter morning. The following years we never mentioned giving up something for Lent, or if I tried, it was a half-hearted attempt. I can safely say neither of us were better for the original experience, except maybe a few pounds lighter. This year, since my pants are getting tighter around my waist, I decided to give up sweets again. Of course, I failed to realize this would interfere with me eating all of the Moon Pies and Goo-Goos that had lined my suitcase on the way home from Nashville. I also forgot it was start of Girl Scout cookie season and I would have to decline the offer of Samoas and Thin Mints.

Maybe this year will be half-hearted attempt. Maybe I should get smart and give up something I don't like. Maybe I should listen to my husband when he tells me, "You know, salvation is free. And where in the Bible does it say 'Thou shall not eat candy'?" He gave up giving up things for Lent. Smart man.

I think I will make pancakes for breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home