Tuesday, February 21, 2006

FixingtotellyouwhyIdonttalkslow(ly)

I talk fast. I could kid myself and say that I speak economically, but I am sure there is a pencil pusher out there who could figure out an algorithm clearly showing how my rapid fire speech is affecting the economy of a small third world country, or at least affecting the comprehension of some of the people with whom I associate. Some say that my brain is working faster than my tongue; others are kind and blame themselves by saying they were caught off guard by my cute accent. Chahhhming, isn't it? I know that I am a fast talker. At some point in my life, someone has told me, "I didn't understand a word you just said." I GET THE PICTURE AND I AM WORKING ON IT. Unfortunately, I am trying to break a 30 year old habit. It hasn't been easy.

The problem is when I slow down my speech, I begin to hear my southern accent. Now, I know I have a drawl, and many people have complimented me or asked me if I am from Texas. (No, I am from Tennessee, and this proves that people in California know their geography as well as people from Tennessee). As of late, when I have made a conscientious effort to slow down my speech, my accent screams that I just fell off a turnip truck. I am sure the people who drive turnip trucks are fine people, but they probably sound country with a capital "K." For example, I may say, "I like that eyelet shirt." The people with whom I am speaking will more than likely get a confused look on their face and I will apologize for talking too fast. So then I repeat myself, after first apologizing for talking too fast. But it comes out sounding like, "Ahm so sahry, Ah sehd Ah lahked that ahlet shirt." If I heard it, I am sure the person next to me heard it.

I know that part of the issue is that I am in California. Southern accents are hard to come by around these parts, and I am usually pretty good at distinguishing the accents that I do hear. It borders on the idiot savant. More than one visitor to the Golden State has been surprised by me when I have asked them what part of Alabama or Georgia they hail from. This prompts the person next to us ask, "Did she just ask them if they were from hell?" Nice.

I'll try not to regress this weekend, but I can't make any promises. Ah may come back with an accent thickrn syrp. You figure it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home