Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Because learning Spanish is directly related to my hearing

The Rev. has been taking Spanish classes at the local community college. He is doing this for several reasons:

A. 60% of our town is Spanish speaking. We don't want to be known as the gringo church on the corner, even if our roof looks like a sombrero. Personally, I think it looks like a Moroccan tagine, but the outreach opportunities to Moroccans in SoCal are limited. We'll stick to sombreros. It's all about being all things to all people, isn't it?

B. See A.

C. See A.

Since he has started the classes, he has been speaking to me in Spanish. Let me remind you, I am a white girl who was raised in the South. I don't pronounce English correctly, much less possess the ability to decipher what someone is firing at me in a foreign tongue. The other day he was telling me about a woman who sat in front of him in class:

The Rev: She is muy intelligente.

Me: Did you just say she is hot?

The Rev: I said, intelligente. Intelligent.

Me: OHHHH. I thought you said caliente. It's that stupid McDonald's commercial.

Maybe I should start taking Spanish. Maybe I have no business taking Spanish, at least until I get a hearing aid.

2 Comments:

Blogger pastorschick said...

It wasn't Def Leppard or Bon Jovi. It was RATT and Poison, puncuated with short bursts of Spanish radio.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

La chica del pastor (it's the same is either language !!) es muy simpatica. Las orejas gusta la musica del escollo y rodar.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home