Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sunday Thoughts

I went to another church today. No, not to get another opinion, but because I had to work. I enjoy these Sundays, and I find it refreshing to hear another minister preach. When one is married to a minister, one gets quite used to a certain pastoral style. I can only liken it to saying The Lord's Prayer. You say the prayer, but are you really saying the prayer? You hear the sermon, but are you really listening?

I was reading a magazine put out by a church body recently and it recounted the account of Martin Luther's barber asking the reformer how to pray. Luther wrote A Simple Way to Pray in response. Basically, it is about praying one's way through the catechism. For some reason, it piqued my curiousity, so now The Rev. and I are doing just that. We are making a point to get up a little earlier in the morning, read from a selected chapter of the Bible and then pray our way through the Catechism. Mom and Dad, we prayed on the 4th Commandment yesterday, so good thoughts were sent your way. The Rev. and I will recite the commandment and the "What does this mean?" and then say a prayer. Let me tell you, I haven't sat in a catechism class in almost 20 years, and I had to reach down deep to pull out the explanation of the commandments. A bit rusty, but the words managed to stumble out of my mouth, with The Rev. filling in the blanks.

Bible study always leaves me amazed at what God does for me. For me! Wretched me, who called another driver a moron this morning and often speaks before she thinks. Have mercy on my Lord, and fortify my desire to read and learn your word and to not get sucked into watching all 10 episods of Vh1's "I Love the 90's."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blessings will abound from your priority settings! Would that more of us would be so disciplined as to follow your example. You've inspired me to get back to the real basics on a daily basis.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah....the ol' 'I called another driver a moron' sin. Over the years I've always had my 'pet sin'. Finally discovered #8 has been my fave all along. Mypastor tells everyone how I trash talk every vehicle on the road. It's funny when he tells it, but it's also so true. So, in a serious moment with your blog, I, too, am reminded that we ARE wretched, sinful beings and if those idiots out there won't stay off the roads, perhaps I shall, and spend the time in God's word !!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home