Wednesday, November 01, 2006

In keeping with forgetting anniversaries, birthdays, and other special events...

The Rev. and I are notorious for forgetting birthdays, anniversaries, and other milestone events. We are godparents to many, and we neglect all of them. We are children and siblings, and we forget which set of parents or which brother or sister had a birthday or an anniversary. I do say my prayers for my godchildren, that they will remain steadfast in their faith and that guardian angels will watch over them, but they will probably never get a birthday card. Terrible, I know. Call it a weakness of the flesh: laziness, dull sloth, apathy. Our intentions are always good, but if I dig in my planner deep enough, I will probably find a few thank you notes that have never been mailed, along with a belated birthday card for a nephew's third birthday. I think he will be eight in April. Maybe it is May. See what I mean?

I forgot it was Halloween yesterday, until a trick or treater walked into my store and chirped, "Twick or Tweat, peas." Fortunately, we had some candy in the backroom, and that tided us until I could run to the grocery store and buy 22 bags of chocolate to pass out to the horde of goblins, devils, ballerinas, spacemen, and witches that traipsed through our door. The Rev. had meetings last night, so he wasn't home to pass out candy, which is probably a good thing because he would have been forced to pass out the stale candycanes that had been sitting in a candydish since last Christmas. If it had gotten really bad, he could have resorted to the colored sprinkles I use to decorate cakes and cookies. Sugar is sugar. People ask how I stay thin and I think I have discovered why. I buy candy and junk, but I am never home to eat it.

God is good, however, and because I am redeemed and always working on my sanctification, I will celebrate All Saint's Day today. On time as the calendar shows it to be. And because today is All Saint's Day, and since we were not able to celebrate Reformation on Sunday as we would have preferred, I am cooking pork and red cabbage for dinner tonight. I have never cooked pork and red cabbage, but I will figure it out. I am not so comfortable in my Christian freedom to say that I am celebrating a belated Halloween, but two festivals in one day will do.

Happy All Saint's, everybody. Don't go looking for a card in the mail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home