Wednesday, June 27, 2007

First Trimester

I will officially be 12 weeks pregnant on Saturday. The first trimester is over, and for all of you snarks out there, The Rev. was here for the conception. Do the math, he left at the end of May.

The nausea has gradually subsided, and I will readily admit I was pretty green for about a six week stretch. Now I get evening sickness, but I have found that if I eat plenty of starches it will go away. Many people have asked me about cravings, and I have had a few, random cravings that come and go for a few days. One week it was iceberg lettuce. I could not get enough iceberg lettuce salads with avocado, bacon, tomatoes, and ranch dressing. Now it is Granny Smith apples. I can eat two or three a day. The tangy sweetness just hits the spot. I can't explain the cravings, especially since I HATE ICEBERG lettuce and Granny Smiths are my least favorite apples. I guess I should say "were" because I ate eight apples in a two day stretch and then bought a dozen more from Costco.

As far as food aversions, I can't handle meat, either beef or chicken. I can taste the chicken in chicken and it makes me gag. Mexican food and Chinese food are out as well. The thought of teriyaki sauce churns my stomach. I have discovered a talent for eating boxes of macaroni and cheese. Yes, mom, I know this will make me fat, but when I have to balance the apple eating with something substantial. Surprisingly, I don't miss my coffee, but I do miss my glasses of wine.

Speaking of fat, I am surprised at my baby bump. I can't fit into any of my pants, and I give my favorite blue jeans one more week before I will not able to zip them. My skinny jeans have already been tossed to the side. I have found several cute, non-maternity dresses which are comfortable and I have taken to wearing them everyday. The bump is noticeable, and although the official announcement at work has been made, I still catch people looking at my stomach. "Is she really pregnant or has she just let herself go since her husband has been gone?"

The Rev., in case you are wondering, is alive and well in Mexico, and is bummed that he is missing out on my....blossoming. We have seven more weeks to go until he arrives home, and given that he has a knack for timing, we will find out the baby's sex upon his arrival home. I am OVER the fact that he is gone, and now it is just an impatient waiting until he arrives home in August. He wants me to come and visit him, but I am apprehensive about visiting a country where I will be unable to eat or drink anything.

My next doctor's appointment is next Thursday, and my mom is flying in so that she can see the work in progress. The Rev.'s mom was here a few weeks ago and she saw the earliest picture of the lima bean. That was my first impression when I saw the baby on the ultrasound screen, and I do know it has arms, because he/she waved to me. "Hi Mom! I'm Here!" I would have waved back, but my doctor already thinks I have fabricated a story about my husband being out of the country, and I don't want her to think that I am any more crazy than her initial first impression.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home