Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I am officially wearing maternity clothes. My mother swept into San Diego in what can only be described as a whirlwind of cleanliness punctuated by long breaks that included naps, shopping, eating popsicles, and beholding the bump that has been renamed "baby g." I still slip and call him/her "lima bean" on occasion, but being that I don't want to burden my child with being nicknamed a legume for the rest of their life, I decided to put on the brakes. Now that my mother is back in Memphis, I won't have any guests for a month, when my father comes into town, so that he too can behold the bump, hear the fetal heartbeat and participate in naps and popsicles. I don't see myself taking my dad shopping for maternity clothes.

My mother insisted on taking pictures, and one is particularly horrendous, showing how fat my arms have gotten. The maternity clothes worked wonders, though, because the next day she took a picture and I looked like I wasn't pregnant at all. At 14 weeks I am amazed at how much I have changed, although it still hasn't settled into my gray matter that I am pregnant. Most of my friend have told me that I won't realize it until the baby kicks for the first time, and that won't be for another 5-6 weeks, around the time we see Baby G again on the ultrasound monitor. And then I will be half-way to having a baby...I AM HAVING A BABY IN 26 WEEKS AND I HAVE DONE NOTHING! As one of my baby books observed, most cities can't fill a pothole in 9 months, but a person can produce another living being in that amount of time. Truly amazing.

The Rev. is well, and shared with me that he watched a whole television program in Spanish and understood everything the characters said. He has five more weeks to get addicted to Spanish soap operas, and he should count his blessings that of the 20 channels we get with our basic cable, channels 12-20 are Spanish speaking. He can feed his addiction and not feel obligated to do it in another country. I am ready for the man to come home.

Someone has to rub my feet after a long day at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home