Thursday, October 25, 2007

Recovery

I am happy to report that the evacuation orders have been lifted for most of San Diego County. We have two church members who have lost their home; no one has lost their life. The news and the pictures in the papers do not do justice to the devastation that surrounds us. I had to drive to Costa Mesa today, and the area of I-5 going through Camp Pendleton was thick with smoke; the thickest I have seen all week. In the distance, off the interstate, you could see darker plumes of smoke from fires still burning. Life is returning to "normal" as both The Rev. and I went into work today. My store is still closed and will be until Saturday. Most of my salespeople have just been allowed back into their homes today, and far be it from me to be calling them to come into work.

The outpouring of concern and love has been overwhelming. Thank you. The Rev. and I were blessed to be in a tiny pocket of Escondido that never had to be evacuated. God is good. I am now running errands with a face mask on, as the news is warning people that to be outside for periods of time is like smoking a half a pack of cigarettes. We are expecting air quality to get progressively worse before it gets better, so the air mask will probably be the must have accessory for this winter. You heard it here first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home