Thursday, November 16, 2006

31 Years

I turned 31 yesterday. I asked my father for an outstanding memory of me from the past 31 years, and he told me he would have to get back to me. I will probably get a response sometime next year, closer to my 32nd birthday. My nieces and nephews all called to wish me a happy birthday, as did the parents and a few other far flung relatives.

The Rev. bought me an IPod for my birthday, a request I had made in passing a few months ago, and it was a nice surprise, considering I thought I might receive a puppy, or replacement for Minnie Pearl (may she rest in peace). It is the size of a stick of gum on steroids, and The Rev. and I have had to practice our sharing skills. I downloaded a few pieces of Bach for him, and a few other downloads that have surprised him to thinking that my taste in music is not so bad after all. I had to remind him that I grew up in the eighties. If it doesn't have a synthesizer in it, I just can't appreciate it.

Owning an IPod means that you have to download music. I wanted the very first piece of music to be significant. And all I could do was stare at it and wonder what I should pick. A hymn? Something from A-ha? That was the first tape I ever received as a birthday present. I think that was for my 11th or 12th birthday, which was the same year I received a Swatch watch from my parents and a turquoise purse from my grandparents in Michigan. I thought about a classical piece, or a Dave Matthews song, in a nod to my early twenties when I thought I was a grown up because I had a full time job, an apartment, and a car. The Lord could have come any day, because in my eyes, I had already arrived.

I chose "Over the Rainbow." No, not the one sung by Judy Garland. I chose a contemporary version by Israel Kamakawiw'ole. I chose it for two reasons. One, it has an upbeat tempo and whimsical, Hawaiian flair to it. It makes me happy. Two, I sang the Judy Garland arrangement with my class on kindergarten graduation day. I wore a light green and white dress with butterfly sleeves and white socks and sandals. I can still see the cafeteria at St. Rose Primary school on the River Road near Destrehan whenever I hear the song. I graduated kindergarten 25 years ago, and there are days that I still want to be able to color in the lines, take a nap, and have a snack. Tying my shoes came way later for me. Ask my mother.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know some grown-ups who still enjoy coloring in the spaces between the lines and finding satisfaction in that!

Loved the "happy" memories! I'm waiting for dad's comment.

mr

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home