Sunday, November 19, 2006

Be thankful, and not just for turkey

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and the one thing I will never get used to about living in California is not having a house full of people on Turkey Day. My job prevents my usual three day preparation for such an event, coupled with the fact that our relatives are so far flung that any visit would require a trip on an airplane or a really long car drive. Given that we all know what airports are like during holidays, I would not wish that on anyone, especially my mother. I really miss cramming twenty-two people into the little parsonage on I-65, and if I ever have the opportunity to cram twenty-two people into the half house off the I-15, you will be hearing from me.

This year we will be going to someone's house for Thanksgiving, and we are bringing pies, cornbread dressing, and a fried turkey. We purchased four turkeys today, in a salute to our American gluttony and our thankfulness, and so The Rev. can be kept in turkey through the winter. I am not sure what events will present themselves this year that will require the cooking of a twenty-six pound turkey, but I am sure you will be reading about it in the very near future.

This week also marks the beginning of the Christmas rush for retailers. My full time, bill paying job is in the wonderful world of retail. Given that this week is the beginning of what I can only describe as a free fall descent into consumerist spending, fueled by buckets of coffee, sugar, and adrenaline, I am using the next few days to mentally prepare myself for a four week onslaught that will show me both the best and worst of humanity. Keep me in your prayers. The day after Thanksgiving and the day after Christmas are the worst, but I am going to do my best to make sure that those two days, along with all of the days sandwiched in between are happy and positive, not only for myself, but for all of my employees. Again, keep me in your prayers. I know the season is not about the latest toy, a great pair of jeans, or a sweater, but some people do. Keep them in your prayers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home